Announcing the 2012 ‘Believe to Achieve’ Spider Jones Scholarship
The Mississauga campus has been honoured to have Spider Jones as a guest speaker at our recent graduations. There was an overwhelming response to Spider’s message of developing perseverance, overcoming adversity and realizing inspiration. Our graduates left the convocation hall feeling they could conquer the world!
Spider Jones can convey this message with authority and heartfelt meaning because he himself has conquered! As a young man growing up on the streets of Detroit he was exposed to crime, gangs and all of the tragedy that comes with this.
Spider moved past this adversity to become a professional boxer and sparred with the likes of George Chuvalo and Muhammad Ali. Although he was successful as an athlete he had always held on to his dream of returning to school and becoming a radio host – which he did! After much hard work as an adult student, Spider earned his diploma, filled in on various radio shows and then got his big break with his own coast-to-coast radio show. Spider is now an avid community activist and is a positive role model to troubled youth and adults.
Algonquin Careers Academy and Spider Jones want to help those in difficult circumstances to succeed.
With Spider’s inspiration and our innovation, Algonquin Careers Academy (ACA) Mississauga is pleased to announce the 2012 ‘Believe to Achieve’ Spider Jones Scholarship.
To be eligible for the scholarship, you must:
· Complete the application form (download application form PDF here)
· Demonstrate your ability, desire and need to overcome adversity using a 500 word essay to tell your story (download sample essay PDF here)
· Provide letters of reference from two individuals who have known you longer than 3 years and can speak to your character (download sample reference letter PDF here)
· Submit your completed application form, essay and two reference letters no later than October 12, 2012 by mail or in person (see contact information for address, by fax (905.361.0603) or by email email@example.com
· Meet the program admission requirements (in person interview required)
· Finalist will be called back to meet the selection committee
The selections will be made and the recipients will be notified by Friday, November 2, 2012.
- The first place recipient will receive a full scholarship to the ACA Paralegal Program including program textbooks.
- The second and third place recipients will each receive a $1000 scholarship to be put toward an Algonquin Careers Academy program of their choice.
To apply or to find out more, please contact the college by: e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 905-361-2380 and ask for Rebecca Da Rosa.